Review of Sex/Life: 44 Chapters About 4 Men by BB Easton

 Sex/Life: 44 Chapters About 4 Men by BB Easton 


“You can be bored to tears and happy at the same time, right?”

What a wild ride of a book! This memoir... Wait, fiction novel? ... Wait, social experiment?.... Whatever you deem to call this novel it's a book you should be reading! Now I know like myself you've probably heard about a show with the same title "Sex/Life" on Netflix (I mean we've all heard or seen ep. 3 and oh my Goddddddd) but I'm here to tell you there is so much more to the story! Like SO MUCH more. This is a memoir at its core but what BB - our anonymous writer - weaves is part fiction/fantasy and part truth at least the truth she's giving us. Instantly I fell in love with her voice and found her completely hilarious and relatable. This book is so much more than remembering the good (sexy) old days. I'm not joking when I say I laughed out loud every few pages because BB is unashamed of who she is and the way her life went when she was younger. 

This book is about a marriage at the end of the day. Or better it's about a relationship because even though I'm not married I could relate to this story. It's about the mundane ins and outs of a long-term relationship, and how boring or routine it can get, but how that's okay. BB was a wild punk/goth girl growing up and tells the story of the four men in her life that awoke her sexuality. But she's also telling the story about how her husband is far from her normal type and through two journals - one completely and utterly secret and the other one that's literally labeled "Super Private Journal That Ken Is Never, Never Allowed to Read Ever" (Which is obviously open for him to read) - she is able to come to terms with her marriage and what her husband can and can't give her. I found the line of ethical-ness to be blurred because she basically tricks or manipulates her husband into doing what she wants, I mean I'm not mad at it but it was interesting to see it all unfold. 

Overall this was a short read but so worth it, if you liked the show you will love this book because this BB is something else, and I think she can be relatable for so many different reasons. Some of you probably did have a wild past, some of you are bored within your long-term marriages, some of you do reminisce of old flings. All of that is okay and normal and I love how open and slightly proud BB was in offering this information! 


Stand out quote: 

"So maybe love is just like any other drug. Maybe the reason I haven't experienced that magical interconnected love-bubble sensation since that night in the basement is because I'm doomed to chase that high for the rest of my life."  p 163 

“I might be a lot of things, Journal, but a whore is one of them.” 



Some questions to ponder: 

  1. Is BB wrong for manipulating her husband this way? 
  2. Is BB's self-administered therapy dangerous, for herself or others? 
  3. BB romanticizes a good portion of her past in her retellings, are there parts of your life you probably romanticize? 
  4. Would you try this on your significant other? The SBB? 
  5. What's the craziest thing you've ever asked a SO to do for you? Tattoos?



CHECK OUT THE NETFLIX SHOW (it's totally different but is still in theme with the novel!) 

Also,







she has four other novels about each guy! 

-MDB 

Comments

Popular Posts