Review of Faker by Sarah Smith

 Faker by Sarah Smith 



It's literally never a bad time for a RomCom, I truly believe this. And what a RomCom this was! This novel was fun, sweet, and gave a good amount of humor throughout. Was it the absolute best romance novel I've read? Not really. But will I pick up another novel by Sarah Smith? Most definitely. Smith's debut novel was great but it was just missing a few things for me honestly. I feel weird about giving critics for novels but I feel like I should state this. The romance of this novel is swoon-worthy and had me grinning and wanting to say awww which is the main goal in a novel. But I just feel like this book was missing some risks or threats? I feel like there was nothing so serious on the line except their relationship. I just wanted a little more punch I guess. Or maybe it needed the POV of Tate? Anyways, that's my honest review. But really don't let that stop you from reading this, it was a great quick read with a lot of elements that I really did enjoy!

Faker follows Emmie, a self-proclaimed faker. She works a male-heavy job and feels as though she has to fake her personality to be accepted and respected within the job. She dons a "boss-bitch" attitude most days and has to shed that skin when she gets home. Because really she's not a "boss-bitch". Her job is made more difficult with her coworker, Tate who has always rubbed Emmie the wrong way and is Emmie's self-proclaimed work enemy. But when the two begin working together more closely, feelings are revealed and neither knows if these feelings can erase eleven months of bad tension. It's about the masks we wear and those we are willing to take it off for. This is your classic Enemies to Lovers trope. My favorite thing was how clearly Smith is able to write and describe the feelings of a new relationship, with all the sappy and adorable parts, but also the adjustment to fitting this new person. 


Stand out quote: 

"It's pathetic to want to be liked by someone who has made it clear they don't like you." 


Some questions to ponder: 

  1. Do you think Emmie is smart to "fake it" at work? 
  2. Why do you think Emmie and Tate connect the way they do? 
  3. How do you think Emmie and Tate will be in five years? 
  4. Was Emmie really a Faker? Was Tate? 


Thanks for stopping by! 

-MDB 

Comments

Popular Posts